Upgrade from Marshmallow to Nougat 7.0: Since its announcement that the next Android version is going to be Android Nougat 7.0, there is much curiosity among the Android users on how it will be and what are the new features that will be there in Android 7.0 Nougat. You may be so curious to upgrade from Marshmallow to Nougat but your device should get OTA update to do that. As most of the devices are still at Android Lollipop 5.0.2, users are still waiting to upgrade from Lollipop 5.0.2 to Marshmallow 6.0. The official Marshmallow release is not yet released even for the top budget mobiles in 2016 like Lenovo A6000 Plus, RedMi etc. For Most of the Samsung models like Galaxy S5, S5 LTE-A, S5 neo, J5, J7, S6, S6 Edge, HTC, OnePlus Moto E, Moto G, Moto X etc. Marshmallow update was released in the first half of 2016. We can expect Marshmallow OTA update will be available for most of the popular mobile brands by the end of 2016 as Google is going to release its Next Android version, Android Nougat 7.0 in the first or second quarter of 2017. Anyhow, Google Nexus devices are the first to get Android 7.0 Nougat OTA update. Here we will see how to upgrade to Nougat from Marshmallow via OTA update if one is available for your device.
Soon after announcing the Next Android Version as Android 7.0 Nougat, I am sure that users are pretty curious to know how to upgrade from Android Marshmallow to Nougat 7.0. Most of the users won’t go for upgrading their devices using factory images available before getting Nougat 7.0 OTA upgrade. Generally Google will release factory images for only Nexus devices. This is quite a risky job as there might be a chance of damaging your mobile in the process of upgrading to Nougat 7.0 from Marshmallow. Moreover, the process to upgrade from Marshmallow to Nougat 7.0 using factory images is only for Advanced users who want to taste the flavor of Nougat before anyone do.
How to Upgrade from Marshmallow 6.0 to Nougat 7.0 via OTA (Over The Air) Update
The process to update from Android Marshmallow to Nougat is pretty easy via OTA update. This process will install Android Nougat 7.0 on your Android device and will wipe away the old Marshmallow. In most of the cases, it is a wise thing to back up all your contacts and data before going to upgrade to Nougat from Marshmallow. When the OTA becomes available for particular device is very much dependent on the model and manufacturer of the mobile.
Once after the manufacturer makes Android Nougat available for your device, you can upgrade from Android Marshmallow to Nougat 7.0 via OTA update using these step by step procedure. If your internet connection is really speedy, then it won’t take much of your time.
Note: Backup all your contacts and data before proceeding to update from Marshmallow to Nougat 7.0
Update from Marshmallow to Nougat 7.0 – Step by step procedure
- Unlock your phone and make sure that you are connected to WiFi connection or Mobile data connection with at least 2GB of Mobile data to completely upgrade from Android Marshmallow to Nougat including the apps to overcome Android Nougat issues or problems after the update because of the incompatible apps.
- Make sure that you have more than 50% of battery life and if your mobile battery is not giving more discharge time then charge it to 100% before proceeding.
- Backup all your contacts and data to your PC or Google Drive.
- Go to Settings panel and scroll down to see About Phone option where you will find all the details of your device.
- Tap on About Phone option. In that tap on System Updates option to check for the latest Android version.
- If your Device is still running on Android Lollipop 5.0.2, you may need to update your phone to Marshmallow 6.0 and then you are allowed to update from Marshmallow to Nougat 7.0 if the update is available for your device.
- If Nougat 7.0 OTA update is available for your device, you can download Nougat update and proceed to upgrade from Marshmallow to Nougat 7.0 seamlessly.
- Once the update is downloaded, your device will install Android Nougat and will reboot into Android Nougat smoothly.
If you are really interested to know how to upgrade from Android Marshmallow to Nougat using factory image, I will update the directions here soon.